Clark County Indiana Traffic Violations
The Court has established the following schedule for payment of traffic violations.
- All Speeding Violations - $171.00
- All Other Moving Violations - $171.00
- Expired Plates, Expired Driver’s License, Parking In a Handicap Zone & Equipment Violations - $170.00
- Open Container Violation - $170.00
- Child Restraint Violation
- 1st Offense Show proof of compliance
- 2nd Offense $25.00
- Seat Belt Violation $25.00
- Driving While Suspended (Infraction) $171.00
- Commercial Truck Violations $171.00
You will only pay a maximum fine of $35.00 for each additional Violation received during the same incident. If the additional Violation is a Seat Belt Violation, you will only pay a maximum fine of $25.00.
1. Do I have to appear in Court?
No. Only if you want to contest your citation, you must appear in Court on the appearance date and time indicated on your citation. You may also have an attorney file a written response by that date.
2. What happens if I want to go to Court but I cannot make it on the day given?
You may attend another court date within your 30 day grace period. See the “Traffic” court dates listed below.
3. I decided to admit & pay my citation. May I have more time?
Yes. You have 30 days after your first court date to make payment. The Court does not issue an arrest warrant if you fail to appear and fail to pay within the grace period. NO GRACE PERIOD FOR CDL (Commercial Driver’s License) OPERATORS. A CDL FINE MUST BE PAID BY YOUR COURT DATE.
4. What if the payment is not received within the 30 day grace period?
The Court will notify the Bureau of Motor Vehicles of your non-compliance and will suspend your driver’s license. If you have a driver’s license in another state, Indiana will notify your state and seek suspension of your driver’s license in that state.
How to make a Payment
- Pay Online* - Please Click Here to pay your ticket online (Please wait at least 5 to 7 days before trying to make a payment online)
- In Person* - Cash, Money Order, Cashier’s Check, or Credit/Debit Card.
NO PERSONAL CHECKS ARE ACCEPTED!
- Mail - Money Order or Cashier’s Check. Please make sure to include your cause number and UTT number. If you want to receive a receipt, please send a self-addressed stamped envelope with your payment. Send payment to: Clark County Traffic Violations, 501 E Court Ave., Jeffersonville, IN 47130.
- By Phone - NO CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS ARE ACCEPTED OVER THE PHONE.
*Please note using a Credit/Debit card will have convenience fees added.
Clark County Prosecuting Attorney -Infraction Deferral Program
(Click on “INFRACTION DEFERRAL PROGRAM”)
Instead of paying the $171 traffic violation ticket, the Infraction Deferral Program is offered by the Prosecuting Attorney to allow safe drivers to maintain their good driving record. After 6 months without another traffic violation your citation will be dismissed. No “points” or convictions relating to your Citation will appear on your BMV driving record. The cost for the Deferral Program is $192.50, if accepted by the Prosecutor.
You are NOT eligible for the Infraction Deferral Program if:
- You have already paid your Citation.
- Your Citation is based upon violation of a Local Ordinance rather than a State Statute.
- You have participated in an Infraction Deferral Program within the past two (2) years.
- You are a Habitual Traffic Offender.
- You have a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
- You have a Probationary License.
- You do not have a valid Driver's License.
- Your Citation is related to a criminal act, you are on probation for a criminal conviction, or other criminal charges are pending.
Unless extraordinary circumstances are present, Citations for Passing a School Bus and Speeding 25+ MPH Over Speed Limit are NOT subject to deferral. Citations which result from a traffic accident are NOT subject to deferral unless proof of insurance is shown. The Prosecuting Attorney has complete discretion to deny any deferral.
If you decide to participate in the Infraction Deferral Program, follow the steps below:
- Complete the Infraction Deferral Agreement
- Complete and sign the agreement and return it to the Clark County Traffic Violations Bureau. Attach a copy of your ticket. If you are an out of state resident, you must include your driving record, which is obtained from your states Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Do not send the deferral payment.
- Your information will be reviewed by the Prosecutors office. It may take up to 2 weeks to get a response for an approval or denial.
- You will be notified of your approval or denial with payment instructions. Payment may be made online, mailed or in-person.
If your license has been sent for suspension, you will first need to pay the ticket that is due in Clark County.
Once paid, we will submit notice to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles the following business day. If you had a citation of Driving While Suspended or Operating without Financial Responsibility, as per Indiana State BMV laws, these are still suspended an additional 90 days after the date of payment is made.
2020 Clark County Traffic Court Dates
- June 17
- July 1st
- July 15th
- August 5th
- August 19th
- September 2nd
- September 16th
- October 7th
- October 21st
- November 4th
- November 18th
- December 2nd
- December 16th
POINT VIOLATION CHART
Important Telephone Numbers
- BMV - 888-692-6842
- Clarksville Town Court - 812-283-1505
- Floyd County Traffic Violations - 812-948-5414
- Jeffersonville City (OV’s ONLY) - 812-285-6437